Live and Create!


In art as in life, there is no need to reinvent the wheel or
fix what is not broken. Sharing what is working in my art teaching world and
hoping to hear and learn from you is the reason for my blog! I currently have some
amazing young artists so take a look at some of our recent work! Please feel free to comment and add
suggestions! I would be remiss in not thanking all the fellow artists and
teachers out there who I have previously explored and learned from. Your myriad
ideas and projects have served as an inspiration to me and my students!
Be inspired!
Debbie

Monday, January 7, 2013

My 5th grade artists learned about the history and ancient art of metal tooling. We reviewed symbols and samples from South America. Indiginous artists used Mayan worship symbols consisting mainly of local animals that provided food and fiber. I shared photos from my travel experience to Argentina this past summer. Students selected from computer printed symbol ideas and created 5x5 drawings in their sketchbooks. They were asked to ensure they filled the space and include a border if space remained. The designs were then traced onto tissue paper and then transferred to the 5x5 metal sheeting (I purchased pre-cut) with a wooden stylist. I demonstrated the process of chasing and embossing to attain the 3D look. I circulated and demonstrated again at each table when students were prepared to attempt these processes. We had great success! Take a look at their amazing work!











 



No comments:

Post a Comment